The Coronavirus lockdown is the ideal time to introduce "Coronamaxx" using the Supermaxx Primary Services Network with schedules reduced to 15-20 minutes. This would provide a vastly better integrated network criss crossing the city supported by local feeder services enabling essential workers and essential activities such as Supermarket and Pharmacy visits to take place easily and quickly. All Supermaxx services start and end close to supermarkets and pharmacies at major shopping and transport hubs. No more double banking of buses on main arterials such as Dominion and Manukau Roads. Better services with less buses on the road and less drivers risking their health. When the lockdown is over the full Supermaxx network and fares can be immediately introduced with vastly better services at reduced costs to commuters and ratepayers, and less congestion and pollution. Coronamaxx services should be free during lockdown.
EMAIL SENT TO MAYOR GOFF AND ALL COUNCILLORS 29 APRIL, 2020
What is the most important thing in life - it is the people. What is the most important part of our city - it is the people. The environment we live in comes a close second.
Please take care of the people!
1. Please do not increase rates at a time when many people are struggling. It is totally unnecessary. We can have a vastly better city with wiser rather than bigger spending.
2. Please introduce managed community gardens where those struggling can put in 4 hours of 'sweat equity' and receive a credit equivalent to four hours at minimum wage to be taken in fresh food. This should be enough for a family of 4 for one week and will provide people with the dignity of earning their food rather than receiving a hand out from a food bank and take some pressure off the food banks. THIS IS URGENT. Whanau te Mana Whakaora provides a much better model for encouraging people to self sufficiency than putting struggling people into motels - albeit that is better than leaving them on the streets as has been past practice.
3. Please introduce Supermaxx or explain to me why not. Supermaxx will lower the cost of travel to commuters to $70 for 30 days unlimited travel between Albany and Papakura AND save over $100 million per year in operating subsidies.It will provide a vastly better interconnected service to the commuting public than AT provide. See attached schedules which would provide a much better and cheaper service in lockdown. Supermaxx will massively reduce congestion and pollution.
4. Please declare that all public transport buses coming into the central city must be electric powered by 2025. (It is easily possible under the Supermaxx network) and that no private fossil fuelled vehicles will be allowed in the inner city after 2027. Also install more electic car charging points in Council owned parking buildings.
It is hypocritical to declare that you care for the people and then
A. Increase their rates and other regulatory costs.
B. Don't provide the opportunity for people to help themselves be as self sufficient as possible.
C. Refuse to provide the best possible public transport at the lowest possible cost
D. Declare a climate emergency and not take all possible steps urgently to reduce pollution.
E. Blindly continue the obsession with old fashioned forms of public transport such as light rail.
We are in an age of austerity with a huge opportunity to move outside the visionless, archaic, and very expensive thinking of the past and examine new ways of doing things and implementing them when shown to be better.
Auckland Transport Consultancy
AUCKLAND NEEDS SUPERMAXX!!
"Supermaxx" is an effective, low cost, affordable, integrated,
public transport system for Auckland which can commence within 6 months. It was first offered to Auckland (ARTA, ARC, and Auckland city councils then in existence) in 2007.
By maximising efficiency of public transport routes 30% more passengers can be carried with approximately 200 less buses on the road leading to far less pollution and congestion.
"Supermaxx" is a time based fare system offering 2 hour, 1 day, 7 day, and 30 day electronic passes. Main unit is a 30 day pass for $70 providing unlimited travel on all train and bus services and the Devonport ferry in the area bounded by Albany, Papakura, Swanson, Howick. This is a massive cost reduction for most commuters. "Supermaxx" will reduce the subsidies required by $70-$80 million per annum.
It is long past time we took action to bring our transport system into the 21st Century. The original "Supermaxx" proposal was presented to ARC, ARTA, Plus Auckland, Manukau, Waitakere, North Shore and Papakura City Councils in early 2007. It could have been introduced by early 2008. If it had been introduced then:
** Ratepayers and taxpayers would have saved over $1 billion dollars in rates and taxes now paid for excessive operating subsidies.
** Commuters would have saved over $1 billion in excess fares
** Over 500,000 tons less of carbon and other pollutants would have been pumped into our skies.
** Aucklanders would have enjoyed a far more functional public transport system - and the transport fiasco of World Cup opening night would not have happened!
"SUPERMAXX" FOR A SUPER CITY
Latest proposal herewith updated May 2017
** Integrated bus and train public transport from Wellsford to Waiuku, Helensville and Piha to Beachlands
** Introduction of express services using motorways where possible between transport hubs and major connector points integrated with primary, secondary, and local bus routes.
Primary services feature Services every 10 minutes 7am - 7pm monday - saturday, 20 minutes at off peak times and hourly on primary routes from midnight to 6am.
** Introduction of LOCAL and REGIONAL bus services
** Devonport ferry now incorporated to relieve pressure on Lake Rd.
** Over 90% of Aucklanders (Metro area Albany to Papakura - Swanson to Howick) will now be within a 15 minute walk of a "Supermaxx" bus or train stop.
** Unlimited travel passes on all train, bus, and Devonport ferry services between Albany and Papakura, Swanson and Howick,
$2 for 2 hours,
$5 for one day,
$20 for 7 days,
and $70 for 30 days.
REGIONAL PASSES - all bus and train services plus Devonport ferry, Wellsford to Waiuku. $5 for 2 hour pass, $10 for 1 day pass, $30 for 7 day pass, $90 for 30 day pass.
My Challenge to Auckland Transport, Auckland Council, Minister of Transport and Prime Minister for the past 10 years has been to
1. Find a better programme to provide the best possible public transport for Auckland in the shortest possible time at the lowest possible cost OR
2. Prove that Supermaxx will not work OR
3. Implement SUPERMAXX immediately to cater for the rapidly increasing numbers using public transport through financial stringency. The current minor hugely expensive and poorly implemented incremental improvements will not do this.
SUPERMAXX AND SKYCABS - THE FUTURE OF AUCKLAND'S PUBLIC TRANSPORT!!
* Integrated Ticketing, Central city loop, Airport rail, and much more.
New Zealand could be the world leader in new technology public transport with visionary quality leadership
A classic example of small minded 'tunnel' vision by our local and central government politicians is the obsession with continuing with the $5 billion Auckland rail tunnel project at vast expense before examining the new technology options such as SKYCABS that would make New Zealand world leaders in new technology public transport. We will never develop our economy or get close to catching Australia with such retrogade thinking!
Click here for details
CARBON EMISSIONS AND CLIMATE CHANGE
By maximising the efficiency of the network and scheduling Supermaxx can provide more capacity with 300 less buses on the road saving $60 million per year in operating costs reducing carbon emissions by 25,000 tons per annum. It is completely hypocritical of the Auckland Council to declare a 'Climate Emergency' and refuse to implement a programme which will immediately reduce carbon emissions as well as costs and provide better service.
The Secret of a successful nation
Open letter sent to all members of Parliament and most media 4th April, 2017
The Secret of personal success
DISCOVER NEW ZEALAND - DISCOVER YOUR WORLD
If you need a break from the ordinary why not join me on a fabulous tour to discover our country during this summer and/or our wonderful world Catch up on how other cities organise their public transport. I have been organising and escorting tours within and from New Zealand for the past 48 years. Stephen Greenfield. Auckland Transport Consultancy and Connoisseur Holidays - New Zealand Tours